Q: My car is taking off in second gear

locate overdrive sensor. jeep engine lt. taking off in 2nd gear, I can manuely shift down to 1st and then up for nomal take off

A: Is the Check Engine Light on or could a fau...

Is the Check Engine Light on or could a fault code be stored in the computer? To see if there is a fault code stored in the computer without the presence of an illuminated Check Engine Light, the car will need to be hooked up to a code reader. But generally, this symptom means there is a problem with the transmission, and the car is defaulting to limp mode in which it will start off and sometimes stay in second gear when driving due to a fault. Consider hiring the help of an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can read any stored fault codes and disassemble the transmission if necessary to locate the source of the problem.