Q: Battery jumped, but idling, missing, goes up/down

Since my battery died several weeks ago, it doesn’t work well. It idles, goes up/down, & has a miss in it. When my mechanic jumped the battery, he reset the computer and codes because the ‘check engine light’ had been on. For a while it will run okay, but then go back to the idling, missing, and up/down. Could the plugs/coils or the emissions have anything to do with the problem?

A: Hi there. This happens frequently on this v...

Hi there. This happens frequently on this vehicle when there is a loss of power. I usually start by checking the fuses to make sure that none of them failed during the jump. If they are fine then I scan the computer for codes to see why the check engine light is on. That will give me most of the information that I need. It may be as simple as the throttle body needing to be cleaned. It resets when the battery loses power which makes it hard for the computer to control the idle of the vehicle. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the source of the issues.