Q: I have a new fuel pump and there is no fuel to the engine

Replaced fuel pump and the relays still no fuel to the engine motor runs if I spray starting fluid in it could a bad fuel pressure regulator cause no fuel or clogged fuel filter

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. A plugged-up fuel filter will cause an engine not not start. Get a fuel pressure tester and hook it up to the fuel rail. There should be a shrader valve on the fuel rail that you can hook the tester up to. Turn on the key.

With the engine off and key on, there should be 45 to 60 PSI on the gauge. If there is nothing on the gauge, then check your connection to the shrader valve. You may need to remove the shrader part of the valve from the threaded tube. If there is still no pressure, then replace the fuel filter and retest.

If nothing after that, then the fuel pressure regulator is not working and needs replacing. If you get pressure to the rail, then there could be a problem with the injectors; they may be either dirty or plugged up. Take the injectors off the engine and clean them with CLR. This will clean the tips off and remove the gummy stuff inside the tiny holes. Wipe off the injectors and install them. If the engine still will not start, then the injectors need to be replaced.

If you need further diagnoses to your no start situation, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can perform an inspection to determine why the car will not start.