Q: Why is my passenger airbag light always on?

I am having a tricky problem with my 2008 Kia Sorento (72k miles). The light that says that the passenger airbag is not activated never ever turns off, no matter what I do. I have had the light and fuses checked. Even if this is just a problem with the light, I won’t know whether the airbag works or not until I get in a crash, not something I plan on doing. How can I get this fixed and be sure the airbag will still work? I really think this is a safety issue no matter what I do.

Hello! Thank you for writing in with this question. Kia released Technical Service Bulletin/Recall Action (TSB SC-076A) that specifically covers this issue. The TSB outlines an update to the OCS Electronic Control Module that is located in the seat cushion. Contact your local Kia dealer to discuss the problem. Make sure to have the Vehicle Identification Number and the specific TSB number available when you call.