Q: When I brake is sounds and feels like grinding metal

Whenever I come to a halt and brake my car shakes a bit and I hear a squeaking sound of grinding metal. It feels like the a strong grinding.

This is usually a sign of the brake rotors developing hot spots or becoming warped. When the brakes are applied, an enormous amount of heat is generated. As this happens and the brakes heat up and cool down repeatedly, the brake rotors may develop low spots in them creating an uneven surface. The shaking feeling is a result of the brake pads being applied on this uneven surface. This is often times fixable by either having the rotors machined to true up the surface or by just having the rotors replaced. If you would like to have this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home to diagnose the brake noise and perform needed repairs.

3. When I brake is sounds and feels like grinding metal