Q: When idled, why does my car completely shut off?

As I start my car, all is fine. But as I drive then stop at a light or whatever, the car turns off by itself and sometimes it is difficult to turn back on. Could it be a sensor? I have no idea.

Stalling can be caused by any number of components or issues. A vacuum leak due to a broken air intake hose or intake manifold gasket can be a cause. If the engine is drawing in too much air, this would effect the air/fuel mixture. This can cause stalling, lack or power, and poor fuel economy. Fuel system issues such as low fuel pressure, dirty or faulty fuel injectors, or a faulty fuel pressure regulator can cause these symptoms as well. Also, any number of faulty sensors can be at fault. If any of the 1-2 dozen sensors that the engine control unit relies on for input goes bad, that too can cause stalling, lack of power, and poor economy. The best approach is to have a certified technician look into the stalling to find the exact cause. Replacing parts randomly without knowing the exact cause can get quite expensive.

3. When idled, why does my car completely shut off?