Q: When I turn my key over my car won't crank but my lights on my dash will come on. I had my starter teststed and it was fine.

I went to crank my mustang and it wouldn't crank. I turned my key over and my lights on my dash would light up and everything seemed fine. Just won't crank. I took my starter to autozone and they tested it, and they said it was good. I'm not sure what it could be. Some say ignition switch and some say my solenoid on my starter. But I had my starter tested. I'm not sure if it clicks when I turn the key over. I had to have a way so I got wire and wired it from my starter to my ignition and put a flip switch on it till I figured what was going on because I need a way to work. Is that safe also?

Hi there. First off - what you did with the hooking up a flip switch is not recommended; so please remove that as soon as possible to reduce the possibility of having a serious electrical fire or overload. Second, if you turn the key and it does not crank over, it’s likely the ignition cylinder or ignition relay that is faulty. If the flip switch worked, then the issue is likely the ignition relay. I would start with replacing the ignition relay or have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection to determine the exact source of this issue and complete the right repairs.

3. When I turn my key over my car won't crank but my lights on my dash will come on. I had my starter teststed and it was fine.