Q: When i try to put my vehicle into gear the shifter moves freely and will not go into any gear is a 2003 Cavalier what could that b

asked by on May 03, 2017

When I try to shift gears it moves freely like it's not going into gear at all however when I look at the shifter above the transmission it moves so I'm wondering what that could be

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If you are unable to actually change gears, the possibility of damage to the linkage between the shift lever and the gearbox has to be ruled out first. The linkage might appear to move but it might not be moving to the required extent. If the linkage checks out though, and you are unable to shift, that means there is a mechanical fault within the gearbox. Such can only be resolved through transmission removal, disassembly and repair. You should first rule out a linkage problem, of course, and if you want to do that, the service to request is a shift diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you and once the diagnostic is complete let you know what your options are in terms of getting this repaired at the least cost. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.