Q: Engine shut off while driving and won't start.

I was driving to work. I made a turn into my working place and my car's engine just shut off. All my gauges were still on. The car was still on but when I floored the gas pedal there was no throttle response. I got help pushing my car to the side and I tried to start my engine up again. It kept failing, the starter would crank but the engine still wouldn't start. I started to check my oil and transmission dip stick. Transmission fluid level was still good. Oil stick was dry. My dad put the proper oil in my engine and I tried to start my engine again. It still would hold the crank and now the engine would respond a little bit like it wanted to turn but it still wouldn't turn on. White smoke started coming out of the air filter. After adding oil the engine responded better when turning the ignition. The check engine light was on as well as the low oil pressure light. I made a mistake ignoring it. I had to tow my car home. I need help with diagnostics and don't have money to pay a tech.

Hi there:

The symptoms you’re describing above could be one of several different problems; ranging from serious internal engine damage caused by the lack of engine oil for an extended period to simple items such as a malfunctioning crankshaft position sensor that might have caused your engine to shut off. Although you might be short on finances, the best way to save money is it have a professional mobile mechanic come to your home or wherever your Acura is currently located and have them complete a car is hard to start inspection first. This will allow them to pinpoint the source of your starting issue and recommend the right repairs. If the damage to the engine is severe (which is a distinct possibility) their initial inspection will allow you to make a decision on whether it’s better off to buy a new car as opposed to spending money on repairs.