Q: Too Much ATF?

I looked under my hood to check my stuff out and I check my dip stick for my ATF and a tiny bit of smoke was coming out of the tube where I put the dipstick. And on top of that my car makes a low/soft grind noise when shifting gears and it made me worry, so I took it to a shop in my city where I've gotten most to all of my other work done on my car and I explained to him what was happening and he told me that the reason behind the smoking was that I have too much ATF in my transmission and that I would need to get it drained and replaced. My question is that is that the actual problem that I'm having? Where my fluid should be and where it's at isnt much of a difference. MAYBE like an inch. And if so, when I get the ATF taken out and replaced will the grinding noise and the smoke problems go away and will it ride normal? Also, since I do not know how long the overfilled fluid has been like that, how do I go about finding out what other damage has been done because of the overfilled ATF

A: Hello. The shop you took the car too is abs...

Hello. The shop you took the car too is absolutely correct. Your transmission is like your brain, if anything goes into it that may be foreign will fail. Your engine is like your body. You can add things to it and it will slow down but will still function. So too much fluid will cause your transmission to make noises and not drive properly and also blow seals and gaskets inside of your transmission. Will it fix everything, no one can be sure. My suggestion would be to drain your fluid until it is at the correct level. Take your car for a test drive and hopefully it fixes those problems. Note - When you do check you transmission fluid ALWAYS have the engine on but when you fill it have it off. If you need help getting a more precise diagnosis, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shifting noise and advise you on the correct repair.