Q: Battery drain when starting. I here a clicking noise, and it won't start. Why is that?

asked by on October 30, 2016

I turn the key the battery drain it wont start then i hear a clicking noise up around the dashboard

Hello. This may be a faulty starter relay. The starter relay is a small unit usually in the fuse box that directs power to the starter from the battery. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. There is also a starter solenoid on the starter that has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. I would have a professional, like one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and move forward with repairs.