Q: What’s wrong if the starter works, but the engine won’t crank?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What’s wrong if the starter works, but the engine won’t crank?

While the most common problem with the engine is a dead battery, there are other things that could be causing a no start situation. If you turn the key and the starter engages normally but the engine doesn’t crank, here are a few things to consider:

• Try pausing for 10 seconds before cranking the engine again.

• Make sure the car is in park or neutral (neutral and with the clutch pushed in for a stick shift).

• Make sure you’re pressing the brake pedal.

• Is the immobilizer light flashing? If so, your master key needs to be reprogrammed (or the key being used is incorrect).

• Is there gas in the tank? Check the gas gauge and make sure it’s not empty.

• Check the fuse to the fuel pump (it may be blown, in which case gas can’t get to the engine).