Q: Buzzing sound while driving

asked by on February 16, 2017

The car makes a faint buzzing sound when going above 35mph. It doesn't make the sound while idling or below that speed. Looked around a bit and I keep seeing a bad wheel bearing being a common cause of that noise. The noise sounds like its coming from the front of the car. Haven't noticed any other changes in the vehicle like fuel economy, acceleration/deceleration, temperature gauge, shaking steering wheel or any other odd noises.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. When you hear noises associated with driving, it is good to focus in on the tires and the wheels. Always start with the simple factors that do not involve serious repairs. Check the tire pressure, tread wear, tire condition, alignment, and tire balance first. The last two will likely involve taking it to a shop who has an alignment rack and a tire balancer. If the noises do not go away, then you can start looking into the wheel bearings and other more complex components. Considering the age and the mileage of the vehicle, there are several components that could be wearing down and causing these noises, but there are not many that you should be too concerned about. However, consider any damage to the vehicle that may have contributed such as hitting a curb or a hard brake. Only further inspection will tell. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.