Q: When i start to exceed 50mph i hear a ticking sound that seems to be coming from the driver side rear wheel area.

asked by on July 27, 2017

There is a ticking sound coming from the rear driver side wheel area. Happens in between 50-65mph, i have had the wheel balanced, I replaced the axle shaft along with the bearing. I have checked wheel hub for play, inspected drum brake assembly, and put the rear end on jackstands and took it up to 50-65 and no noise resulted so noise is present when the rear end has the load of the truck on it. It sounds like its coming from the outter area of the axle but that could be due to im hearing from the inside of the vehicle while moving. I recieved a timken differential bearing kit by mistake so instead of returning it i will install them depending on the answer i recieve. Also i noticed that after i did anywork involving the rearend (shaft, bearing ,brakes) that when i went to test drive it after the work (3 times) that the ticking noise started softly and quiet and got louder. Thank you

Hi there. There are several variables that could cause this ticking noise. Generally speaking, if the ticking noise only occurs at higher speeds and progressively increases in speed the faster you go, it is often caused by a loose or misaligned component. This could include the emergency brake sticking, rear brake dragging, warped brake rotor, inner rear axle being loose or bearing being damaged. I would highly recommend using OEM replacement components to reduce the potential of mistakes or fitting issues. It might be helpful for you to have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location to help you diagnose this problem.