Q: When driving over puddle, water intrusion caused car to shut off

My car has 107,000 miles. While it was raining during a storm, I drove over a puddle at about 25 mph and my car shut off. I had to have it towed to the dealership and they reported to me that it was water intrusion that had caused the car to quit. They also said that the rod had failed and had gone through the aluminum motor both times. The air breather that is positioned under the motor is what caused the water intrusion. They didn’t know about the powertrain. Should I insist that they check the powertrain?

A: Hi there. If the engine sucked enough water...

Hi there. If the engine sucked enough water into it to cause a rod to fail and go through the block then the engine will need to be replaced. As for he rest of the power train it will be hard to determine if there are any other issues until the engine is replaced since it cannot be driven.

Most of the time, the transmission will be fine after going through a large amount of water as long as the fluid is maintained.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose the cause of the stall to confirm my suspicions. Good luck.