Q: The truck is from Georgia which doesn't have smog control. In California it won't pass smog. It has a new motor and transmission.

I was instructed by a smog technician to change gas cap, time it, and failed visual due to a broke nipple on egr solenoid.So I replaced egr solenoid, the gas cap, and was waiting to time it after I put new plugs, wires and cap. I also replaced the throttle position sensor..It runs bad! It still needs to be timed but is smoking a great deal. Blueish grey smoke , idles rough or when in gear idles rough. I am planning to change the oil before I try another pretest on the smog. What is making it smoke?

Hi, the blue-grey smoke you mention is your engine burning oil, probably due to worn piston rings or valve guides and seals. This is expected from an engine with 300K miles on it. Unfortunately for you, California has pretty stringent emissions standards. I would certainly get the engine timed correctly, and any remaining tune-up work done before your next emissions pre-test.

I would recommend having the smoke inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• The truck is from Georgia which doesn't have smog control. In California it won't pass smog. It has a new motor and transmission.