Q: Car will not shift into gear - 2007 Mini Cooper

asked by on October 21, 2016

when i step on the clutch,it goes all the way down and i cannot shift into gear.

Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement $135.37 - $414.28 Get a Quote

Hi. There are a couple of reasons for this problem. One is that the clutch master cylinder has gone bad and will not engage the clutch when you are pressing on the clutch pedal. Another possible cause of this problem is that the clutch itself has gone bad completely and will not allow the car to shift at all.

You could also have a problem with the clutch slave cylinder. When the slave cylinder is bad, it will make the car have difficulty going into gear or not go into gear at all. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic replace the slave cylinder and the master cylinder first before changing the clutch.