Q: Intermittent problem with car not starting and not cranking

I am having problems with my car not starting. This just recently started happening and it is an intermittent electrical/starting problem. When it won’t start there are no warning lights on the dash, no noises, no cranking… just “Nothing!” After waiting a couple of hours, then it will start without any difficulties. Another problem is that the clock has been losing time and the radio preset is lost. I have been to the local mechanic’s shop, but he can not diagnose it because since it it intermittent he can’t duplicate it yet. Can you tell me what might be causing this and how it can be repaired/fixed. Thank you.

A: Hello. This is caused by a loss of voltage ...

Hello. This is caused by a loss of voltage someplace in the electrical system. Most of the time this is caused by a bad connection at the battery or a bad battery cable. I usually check and clean these connections and see if there is anything that is loose, or if there is any corrosion. If these are fine, then it may be a failure in the fuse box.

Either way, some electrical diagnosis will need to be done. If this is something that you are going to have fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the car starting problem and let you know what should be done.