Q: Possible problem with alternator

I recently replaced the starter (with a starter from a 2003 grand am) and it has ran fine. This past week it refused to start. Jumped it twice and it would die again within minutes. Charged the battery and it ran. Assuming the problem is the alternator, would the alternator from a 2003 fit my 2001?

A: Hello. You are correct, the next step is to...

Hello. You are correct, the next step is to remove and test, or just go ahead and replace the alternator. Replacement aftermarket alternators for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am cover years 2000-2003. So reasonably you can conclude that the alternator will fit and work. Keep in mind however that we do not know if this alternator from that vehicle is an aftermarket, or if it is OEM (original equipment manufacturer). You really just need to make sure the electrical connections are compatible, and that the mounting bolt holes align. After you install the replacement alternator, make sure that all of the battery cables, alternator connections, and related wiring are clean, dry, and tight.