Q: My transit van's powertrain light is coming on. Is it easy to fix, how long will it take, and is it costly?

my 6 year old transit has the power train light coming on, the van is working, but im worried it will be costly to repair, how long it will be in the garage and is it the start of a string of things going wrong. thankyou

A: Hi there. It would be really hard to say wh...

Hi there. It would be really hard to say what it will cost to fix and how long it will take without knowing first what is going on. This light can come on for a number of reasons, some of them not being very serious.

I would always start by scanning the computer for codes first. Any codes should help in the diagnosis process. Once the codes are known, a diagnosis can be made and from that point you would know what it will take to fix it. If you are thinking of having this powertrain light checked out, consider having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to perform an inspection to see why the warning light is on.