Q: I can't get the axle out of the driver side hub.

asked by on November 18, 2016

I'm having trouble removing the axle from the driver side.The axle won't come out from the hub an was trying to hit it loose. End up smashing the end a bit where the nut goes back on.

The axle constant velocity (CV) joint has splines that go through the outer hub assembly secured with a large nut. Sometime when the CV axle needs to be removed the splines of the CV joint will rust and corrode then seize in the hub. You will need to use a special tool called a hub axle remover. This tool will press the CV joint from the hub like a press would with out damaging the CV joint end or threads. If you need help replacing the CV axle you should contact a mechanic like one from YourMechanic that can come to you with the special axle remover tool and perform the repairs for you.