Q: When applying the gas my car jerks when accelerating

asked by on May 30, 2017

When sitting at a red light or slowing down in traffic, I apply the gas pedal to go faster when needed. When I do, my car shutters or jerks when accelerating. Like when its trying to pick up speed, it will jerk or shake before driving smoothly. Is that a transmission issue? I notice when I accelerate on the highway too, it takes longer than normal to switch gears or it'll stay in between 3 and 4th gear before it regulates when going up a hill.

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $496.65 Get a Quote

What you are describing is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.