Q: Brake sensor is to sensitive causing brakes to flicker while driving. 2005 Mercury Montego

asked by on March 06, 2017

My brake light sensor for my brake pedal is to sensitive or my brake pedal is too loose (it doesn't feel to loose). This causes my brake lights to flicker (tail lights) to flicker when I'm driving (as if I'm tapping the brake pedal). It comes on and doesn't flicker when I actually press the brake pedal and if I pull up on the brake pedal while I'm driving it doesn't flicker either. The brake pedal appears to rest right at the point that triggers the lights. Therefore every little bump in the road or anything cause the brake lights to flicker. How would I fix this? Thanks for the help.

Brake Light Switch Replacement $90.34 - $168.55 Get a Quote

Hi there - your brake light switch needs a minor adjustment. It is adjusted too "tight" or close to the brake pedal lever, or possibly has failed. Adjusting/replacing it will eliminate this flickering problem. I recommend a brake light isn’t working inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.