Q: ABS Module can not be reprogrammed

Hi there, Last week my Savana 3500 cutaway truck's ABS light and Brake both came on, and couple minutes later all meters on dash board stopped working, and transmission shifted jerk. I checked online and learned that I need to replace my ABS module, which was found burned damaged when I unplugged it from the truck. Then I purchased a new module and plugged back in, all of those bad things went away, but ABS light and Brake light are still on. I checked online said that the new module may need to be reprogrammed by a GMC dealer after plugged in, then I came to a local dealer to reprogram it, and they could not reprogram it. They said that they tried a lot times and still could not get it reprogrammed, there should be some thing else went wrong, which caused ABS module burned. Could you please give me some suggestions about what I can do ? or what could be the reason to cause my ABS module burned? I really don't want spend another $300 for just a diagnosis at a GMC dealer again! Thanks!

A: Hello. I would first contact the vendor who...

Hello. I would first contact the vendor who sold you the new ABS module. Reputable dealers and ABS module rebuilders are pretty good at guiding you through the "programming" aspect of this replacement. While there are some ABS modules that are not rebuildable, this is the first time that I have heard of a series that cannot be reprogrammed.

You might also check with another GMC service center, explain your prior GMC dealer story about "not-reporgrammable ABS," and see what they have to say. This may be an issue of "didn't buy it here - won't do the service on it". ABS module circuit boards (in virtually all vehicles) are in a hot and high vibration environment. The solder joints on the printed circuit boards sometimes crack or otherwise fail, losing conductivity, and the ABS module no longer works properly. If you need to have this checked by another technician, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the ABS module and advise you on the best course of action.