Q: When accelerating after a complete stop, turning corners, coming to a complete stop or randomly when Parked a very odd vibrating

asked by on April 22, 2017

I have a 05 mercury sable (sedan) I've had the vehicle for about 6 months. Bought from a dealer with 90k miles, I'm now just over 100k. Whole I've had the car, I've taken very good care of it. However there is one issue with the car every mechanic tells me is a different issue. The issue: When accelerating after a complete stop, turning corners, coming to a complete stop or randomly when Parked a very odd vibrating metal noise comes from the rear of the vehicle. I've taken it to multiple mechanics and I've heard everything from brakes to my imagination. What could this odd sound possibly be?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be suffering from several different issues. In this type of situation you want to start with the least complicated option, and work your way up. Start by making sure your tires are properly inflated, and have them balanced. Your brakes may be playing a role, and you will want to start by cleaning them off with some brake cleaner, and make sure nothing is stuck between the pad and the rotor. You can then raise the vehicle and manipulate the wheel looking for excess play, damaged axles and joints, and damaged wheel bearings. From there you may need to look into the wheel assembly itself and make sure there is nothing mechanically wrong, dirty, or damaged. For more help diagnosing or resolving the vibration issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.