Q: Emission light with smoke out the back of car

last week the car was smoking very bad then it stopped today the emissions light came on and was smoking from the back of the car is this a serious problem and what would have to be done to fix this

A: Hi there. It really depends on the color of...

Hi there. It really depends on the color of the smoke. If it is black then it can be a dirty air filter or a leaking fuel injector. If the smoke is white then it may have a leaking head gasket. If the smoke has a blue cast then the engine is burning oil which can be valve stem seals, or more commonly on this engine a bad turbo.

A diagnostic would need to be done depending on the kind of smoke that is appearing. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home to diagnose the smoke firsthand and help you make the necessary repairs.