Q: Dirty fuel? Van not responding, engine making weird noise and cutting out

Got in it, started it and all seemed OK..fired and sprang to life! Then I pulled away and engine choked and cut out. I started it again, it fired then same thing cut out. I checked everything under hood and exhaust everything looks normal. I start it one more time and it turns..something goes pop around the drivers side under hood, poss in fuse box, then when you turn the key it doesn't fire at all just were's? It was fine when I pulled up? ...please help me, I always have issues with vehicles and really need this one for work..thought it would be our workhorse? Also can you recommend how to fix/remedy the issue....Thanks Claire UK (Vauxhall Movano Manual Transmission)

Hi Claire, It sounds like you may have popped a fuel pump relay. I would suggest checking the relays in the fuse box under the hood to see if the fuel pump fuse is burnt. When turning the key to the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump come on pressurizing the fuel system, which will sound like faint humming sound. If you do not hear this, you may not have power going to the fuel pump. The relay wires should have ground on two wires, power on one wire and switched power on another wire. To activate the fuel pump your ECU actually connects one of the ground wires to complete the circuit and send power to the fuel pump. If the wires all have power running through them, then it is likely you have a faulty relay. The wire coming from the fuel pump is the other ground wire. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your wiring as this can be very difficult and time consuming without the proper wiring diagram.

• Dirty fuel? Van not responding, engine making weird noise and cutting out