Q: What should I know about using the roof rack?

What should I know about using the roof rack?

If your SUV has a roof rack (it’s optional equipment), you have the means to carry additional luggage or gear on the roof of your vehicle. That’s certainly handy, but there are several things you should know to make sure that you’re using it correctly and not inadvertently damaging your car.

• Never exceed 100 pounds on the roof rack.

• Never place anything directly on the roof itself. It’s not designed to carry weight. Only place items on the roof rack.

• All loads should be evenly distributed. The roof rack cannot support 100 pounds in one spot – it must be spread across the entire rack.

• Only place loads on the crossbars of the roof rack.

• Anything on the roof rack should be secured completely before driving. Always check your load during trips.

3. What should I know about using the roof rack?