My car is making a grinding noise when I try to put it in...

Q: My car is making a grinding noise when I try to put it in gear and it won't move. noise goes away when clutch isn't pressed down.

asked by on August 21, 2017

Hello I was driving my car (2013 mini Cooper s) normally one day and when I moved off from a stop sigh (at normal speed) I started to hear a grinding noise and my car wouldn't move when I tried to put it in gear. The noise only comes around when the clutch pedal is pressed down. Before this happened, I would also heard a pretty loud squeaking noise when I was informed might have been the throw out bearing. Is it possible that I just need to replace my clutch? I'm really hoping that that is the problem.

Hi Renozwah. Thanks for writing into YourMechanic.com this morning. Generally speaking, there are a few different reasons why your car is making this type of noise while accelerating. First, and typically not considered by many mechanics is that there is an issue with master or slave cylinder with the clutch that is causing a restriction or reduction of fluid in the bellhousing. This can cause pressure plates to not engage correctly as you are attempting to shift into a gear. It is also possible that the throw out bearing or pilot bearing is damaged, which tends to happen on these mini coopers rather easily. To correctly isolate this problem and ensure you make the right repairs, it’s probably best to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a clutch inspection.