Q: Car won't shift to 3rd gear

Now that the warm weather is here I cannot shift my car into 3rd gear. This happens off and on not all the time. I’m not sure if there’s a temperature control in the car that could be causing this. I wonder if I need to replace this gear. Do you have any ideas?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1989 Mercedes-Benz 500SL. Inspect the linkages from the shifter handle to the transmission for any worn or broken parts. A problem here can cause problems shifting as well. If you need help with the diagnosis, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the shifting problem to let you know what needs repairs.