Q: What qualifications do you need if you are to rebuild an engine?

what qualifications do you need if you are to rebuild a engine

A: Hi there. If you were to rebuild an engine ...

Hi there. If you were to rebuild an engine on your own in your garage (that is, your engine and not someone else’s engine), you would just need your tools and some books (with procedures and specifications) that can help you rebuild the engine. If you were to rebuild an engine in your garage for a business or someone else, or in a shop environment, the recommendations today are to take the ASE test A1 for automotive engines and / or the ASE test T2 for diesel engines to obtain a certification in rebuilding engines. Most shops usually want to have either 1 ASE certification or to be a Master ASE Technician. The knowledge of 1 to 2 years of engine building and a certification is most requirements to most shops. Other shops have apprenticeship programs to assist you with engine building and will grant you time to learn before getting a certification. Keep in mind, the tests for Cummin’s engines, Caterpillar engines, Detroit Series 60 and 2 stroke engines, Mac engines, Volvo engines, and International engines (all diesel) are all separate from ASE and may be required for shop environments.