Q: I lost my key to my Pontiac Grand Prix 2003. It will start without the key, but shuts off after 30 sec - is this because i don't have the key?

asked by on November 03, 2016

I lost my key to my pontiac grand prix 2003 it will start without the key but shuts off after 30 sec.. Is it because i dont have the key??? Everything is working in the car.

My car has 202 miles

Ignition Switch Replacement $162.65 - $835.29 Get a Quote

Hey there. Your vehicle is equipped with what GM calls their VATS system (vehicle anti-theft system). There is an electronic chip embedded in the ignition key and a "chip reader" that is part of the ignition switch. The reader looks for the proper codes from the ignition key. If it does not see those codes, the vehicle may start and stall or not start at all as part of the anti-theft system. If you do not have any keys for the vehicle, new keys will have to be obtained and properly coded to your vehicle in order for it to start and run properly. This can possibly involve replacing the ignition switch as well. For this type of repair, you may want to consult with a Pontiac dealer to confirm whether or not a new key will resolve this.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr