Q: What is the average life expectancy of window motors? Should I file a replacement with manufacturer?

How long does normal " wear and tear" damage take to occurs causing failure of window motor? Is there min max number of uses or or min time til expected failure, I have a two year old Malibu and body shop said window does not roll down and claim was filed, the insurance said it is normal wear and tear no direct impact to motor, is it manufacturer liability to replace or not has it exceeded life expectancy of the motor

Assuming an "average" number of uses, the normal service life of ANY power window motor and assembly will well exceed the value of 2 years and by orders of magnitude. Therefore, your motor has failed early, there is no question about it, unless you operated it dozens of times during every trip you made during those two years or it was damaged subsequent to manufacture. The mechanism of failure would have to be determined by disassembling the motor and doing a forensic exam. There is a certain rate, usually small of course, of product defects for anything that is manufactured and that is why warranties are written.

Regardless of the fact that the motor failed "early", the issue of liability, that is who is responsible for paying for the new motor will depend on the warranty that was written on the part, or the vehicle if the vehicle is still under warranty. If your vehicle has a bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, you might be covered.

If your vehicle is out of warranty, however, the fact that the motor failed early is of almost no use, excepting a circumstance where a large proportion of that very "motor" failed for other customers as well and the manufacturer instituted a special service campaign, extended warranty, or the like, and/or a class action was brought for a product defect (if a systematic product defect exists). You do have some recourse though, for example, you can file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which collects consumer complaints about motor vehicles and equipment.

If you desire a second opinion regarding the motor, and perhaps a lower cost option for repair, by all means contact YourMechanic and a certified Technician will be dispatched to assist you. If you have further concerns, please re-contact us.

• What is the average life expectancy of window motors? Should I file a replacement with manufacturer?