Q: my transmission keeps trying to slide off the transmission jack.

i cannot seem to get the transmission tostay on the tranny jack. is it ok to reassemble the crossmember to hold the tailshaft up and let the bell housing rest on the exhaust? will it hurt the exhaust

A: This should not hurt the exhast to do this....

This should not hurt the exhast to do this. I would recommend asking for a helper if necessary to help you keep the transmission level. If the transmission falls, this can damage the transmission rather than the exhaust. If the transmission has something solid to rest on, it should be fine. I would make sure that it does have something to rest on in order to avoid damage to the transmission. If you are in doubt about this repair, I would recommend enlisting in the assistance of a qualified professional.