Q: what does the clicking sound indicate when my car wont start

asked by on July 03, 2017

After driving my car for about 20-30 minutes going to work at 80 mph, when i got down to the lower speeds as i was arriving at work i noticed the power of my car diminish. It would be harder to accelerate for the car. After i parked my car in the parking lot i turned the car off. I tried to turn the key to my car after i had parked but as i was trying to ignite the car it would make a clicking noise. I don't seem to know what the problem is because my headlights and dashboard lights still turn on when i turn the key to the 1st position.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There are a variety of clicks you might hear when the car fails to start. Gentle clicks from under the dashboard mean the relays are activating, but the starter is not working. A strong tap from under the hood might be the starter solenoid engaging, but there not being enough power to drive the starter. Sometimes the starter may give a rapid tap tap tapping if it is trying to engage, but the battery is not strong enough. In your case, it may be that your charging system has failed and you have been running on the battery. It doesn’t take nearly as much power to operate the lights as it does the starter, so it’s a possibility that is all the trouble you have. You can find out for sure by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your starting problem and let you know what it will take to solve it.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr