Q: What does the ABS Light mean on the dash?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the ABS Light mean on the dash?

There are quite a few important lights on the dash of your car. One of them is the ABS Light. Under normal conditions, the only time you should see this light turn on is when you first crank the ignition. It should light up for a few seconds and then go out after the system conducts a self-check. If the light doesn’t go out, turns on when you’re driving or starts flashing, it means there’s a problem with your ABS system and you need to have it inspected.

Tips

• If the ABS is disabled, you still have normal braking capabilities (the ABS will not engage, though).

• Don’t confuse the Brake Light and the ABS Light. Both refer to different systems. If the Brake Light comes on, check your parking brake. If it’s not engaged, have the brake system inspected immediately.