Q: Car reversed while in drive after putting transmission fluid in the car it now drives while in drive. Is it ok to drive it now?

asked by on March 04, 2018

Car was driving fine but all of a sudden it stalled out on me so I put it in park and then turned it off. When I turned it back on and put it in drive the car was going backwards. I put transmission fluid in it and let it sit for 2 days without driving it at all. After 2 days I was able to drive it with it in drive. Is it safe to drive the car again? I don't want to have it towed again if it happens again. Is this going to be an ongoing issue as well?

The transmission being low on fluid may cause the reverse band to apply and should not go into reverse when in drive as long as you keep the fluid full. You should have the leak checked and repaired.