Q: What do I need to replace? My car was in an accident.

Got in a car wreck and now I have to put in coolant everytime I drive somewhere because it leaks out and you can see it on the ground. The radiator is visably crooked so should I replace just the radiator or the radiator and the tank the coolant sits in?? I have no clue where it comes out of but the car got hit on the passenger side corner and the coolant leaking seems to be the only problem under the hood but it makes my car heat up if I drive to far and the coolant drained out. Other then the radiator being crooked I'm not sure if anything else got moved or even fell out. I don't even know where I would start on fixing my car.

The first step is to remove the radiator and inspect it. It is very likely that it has been damaged. Once you have the radiator and the fan out of the way, you can inspect the other components involved.

The second tank that holds coolant is an "overflow reservoir," which essentially allows for the coolant to flow somewhere if its expanding while overheating. It can then recycle the coolant back into the engine as needed. If this component has been damaged, yes you will need to replace it. But there is no way of knowing that without seeing if its leaking.

Hoses, and other components on the vehicle may have also been damaged in the process. The best thing to do is to keep it simple, and take it one step at a time. If you know your leaking coolant, start there. Once you have that system completely repaired, you can turn your attention to the next most critical repair.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come out to you and pinpoint the coolant leak. Best of luck.