Q: What could it be when the transmission won't engage in either gear

First my o/d light started flashing on my 04 explorer and now it will not engage in reverse or drive, the motor doesn't seem to idle down when gear is engaged. I just need a full check list of what to check before I start the removal and replacement

Hello, thank you for writing in. When dealing with an unresponsive automatic transmission, always start with checking the fluid level. If the fluid is not full, then you need to inspect for a leak, and repair that damage first. There may have been more damage done to the unit with low fluid levels, and further inspection may be needed. If it is full then the fluid is not being pressurized, the linkage may be damaged (internally or externally), a damaged input shaft, a torque converter failure, or the transmission has failed. Check into the pump first. You can also open up the transmission pan and inspect the bottom portion of the unit, as well as check for any signs of mechanical failure in the form of metal shavings or chunks in the fluid pan you removed. Take further diagnostics from there. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.