What causes the battery and fuel icons to appear on the istrument panel resulting to stopping the car's engine? 2000 Honda Civic

What causes my car's engine to lose power everytime the battery & fuel pump icons appear on the front instrument panel? When it happens, the accelerator doesn't rev up no matter how hard you press it

Hi - the fuel pump icon comes on when your Civic is very low on fuel - basically less than a gallon. The "battery" light comes on when the alternator is not charging, which could cause system voltage to drop enough for poor engine performance. I would check the serpentine belt that drives the alternator to see if it is worn or slipping, and the battery condition as well. For assistance, I recommend a electrical charging system inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.