Q: What are the differences between distributor types for my truck?

I am unsure which type of distributor I have in my truck, which is not fuel injected.

Hi there. In 1987 Ford used a TFI (thick film integrated) module attached to the distributor housing, where timing is computer controlled, and a Dura-spark ignition module attached to the left inner fender, where timing is still mechanically and vacuum advanced. Being your vehicle still has a carburetor, leads me to believe, your distributor has a vacuum advance and Dura-spark ignition. Identifying whether a vacuum hose goes to your distributor should help determine which type of distributor is used for your engine. I recommend your vehicle’s distributor replacement be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.