Q: Have to accelerate slowly or dies

asked by on November 04, 2016

81 bronco 351 Windsor...Idles great ...runs great down road ...unless you give it gas fast then stalls. If you push accelerator slow it is fine. c are issues? Timing?

Hey there. This problem of stalls on acceleration is most likely caused by the carburetor accelerator pump is not pumping fuel into the engine when the throttle is pressed. This explains the vehicle running great at steady speeds and idles fine. The accelerator pump only works and pumps additional fuel into the engine when you accelerate. You can open the air cleaner and with engine off look into throttle opening and have someone push the gas pedal a couple time to see if you see fuel squirting or not. If no fuel is squirting, then the carburetor will need to be removed and overhauled or replaced.