Q: Vibration on startup - 2013 Ford Focus

My vehicles vibrates noticeably for about 20-30 seconds after I start it. After that the vehicle runs smoothly until it fully cools down and I start it up again. Car is only 3 years old with 35k miles, would figure this would be too early for a tuneup but maybe not. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi there. From the description you have given, a tune-up may be in order. Short trip driving is harder on the engine, than long trip driving. Based on the low mileage, it is not due for the tune-up according to the maintenance schedule.

It could be, the spark plugs are slightly fouled from short trip driving. Apparently the vehicle’s computer is not recognizing the fault, with no mention of a Check Engine Light on. It could be, a dirty idle air control valve is not raising the engine’s RPM up, to provide a smooth idle upon start-up cold.

I recommend having your vehicle’s vibration inspected be inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Vibration on startup - 2013 Ford Focus