Q: My truck has problems turning over when I crank the engine (it won't start), and my battery keeps draining.

Two months ago I started having a problem when I start my engine, it would crank slowly and then it would turn over to start. Within that period, the first time while I was driving, it just cut off. I tried jumping it and it wouldn't start. So I let it sit for two days and gave it a jump again and it started right away, but it seemed like every other week I would have to get a jump to rejuvenate the battery. A month later I drove it one morning and went back two hours later to start it and it wouldn't turn over when I tried to start it. I tried giving it another jump, but it wouldn't turn when it crank it. I haven't driven it in a month now and when I replaced the battery two weeks ago the power drained just two weeks after I put in another one. What could be causing this problem.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. It sounds ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. It sounds like your vehicle may be having a couple of problems. For the first problem, regarding the battery being drained and not charging back up, you will need to have the charging system checked to see if the alternator is faulty and/or needs to be replaced. For the second problem of no turning when cranking it, the issue may be that the starter is going bad from trying to crank it with a weak low battery, and may need to be replaced. If you would like help with having these inspections performed, consider having one of our expert automotive technicians come to your home or office to look at and diagnose these issues for you, and make any repairs as needed. Hope this helps and good luck!