Q: While idling, if I hit the gas, my car will shut off.

(THE FOLLOWING MAINTENANCE WAS DONE ALL AT ONCE DUE TO REGULAR WEAR AND TEAR/NO ACCIDENTS): I just replaced my engine at 175000 miles to a basically new engine (42000 miles). I also replaced my radiator, my catalytic converter, my transmission sensor on 3rd. a few weeks back i replaced the hose that attaches to the engine and radiator (i didnt have a thermostat there, i was told leaving it off was ok). WHEN I PRESS THE GAS WHILE MY CAR IS IN IDLE MY CAR TURNS OFF. WHEN I ATTEMPT TO PUT MY CAR IN DRIVE MY CAR TURNS OFF. MY CAR RUNS PERFECTLY FOR HOURS WHILE IDLING unless you hit the gas. WHAT COULD BE THE ISSUE?

Hi! If it has never run right since the engine replacement I suggest rechecking every connection on every sensor. Take them off one at a time, inspect closely, and put them back on. I would also want to see fuel pressure test results. It sounds like it is only getting just enough fuel to idle, but not accelerate. Verify that the timing belt is installed correctly so the crank and cams are in proper time.

A badly restricted exhaust system can cause an engine to stall. A scan tool should be used to check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTC’s) and view engine data. BTW, a thermostat needs to be installed for correct operation of every engine, but that is not causing it to stall off idle.

If you’d like to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, since you can’t get the car moving. A certified technician can come to your location and diagnose your stalling issue firsthand.

3. While idling, if I hit the gas, my car will shut off.