Q: Very slow coolant leak

asked by on June 25, 2017

Yesterday my car over heated and when we popped the hood it was obvious there is a coolant leak. You could see it was wet in different areas under the hood as if someone sprayed coolant with a spray bottle in various locations . However it seems this was a very slow leak, and I've never had any fluid under my car at any time. At this point they are having trouble locating what is causing this. Put in a new radiator and water pump less then 2 yrs ago

Hi there. I wouldn’t assume that you have a coolant leak based on coolant being present after the vehicle overheated. In most cases, the coolant will boil out of the radiator cap and cause this type of ’spillage’. If you’ve never had coolant under the vehicle, it is more likely that your thermostat is faulty, radiator fan is not working correctly or there is an obstruction of coolant in the heater core or other cooling lines. I would strongly recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete a car is overheating inspection first. Overheating can cause serious engine damage, so it’s important to isolate the source of this problem before driving again.