Q: My speedometer, odometer, and RPM meter all go in and out of operation. What could cause this?

I'll start my car and one day everything will work, and the next nothing. I'm trying to figure out if it's going to be really expensive or if it's just maybe some wiring shorting out.

The speed sensors used to calculate the readings on the instrument cluster often cause drivability problems when they fail like weird shifting or the car won’t start so I’m leaning toward a malfunction in the cluster itself or a loose connection behind it. A technician can drive the car while the cluster has lost operation and hook up a scan tool to see if the sensors are still reporting the right information. If the sensors are working, the problem is in the instrument cluster or wiring. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a closer look at your malfunctioning instrument cluster and offer a more personal diagnosis.

• My speedometer, odometer, and RPM meter all go in and out of operation. What could cause this?