Q: Very low idling during cold start, stalling engine, 2007 Toyota Corolla

asked by on August 23, 2016

Only during a cold start, the initial idling would be too low that the engine eventually stalls. On second startup attempt, idling goes up to usual level but goes down to below normal idling (i.e. less than 700 rpm) and engine may eventually stall. Usually takes about three attempts for a normal startup. Already replaced the IAC valve and sensor (i.e. since the idling also goes down when the air conditioning is turned on before) and MAF sensor (as advised by a local mechanic), but still no improvement. After a successful startup, the car drives normally without any problem. Am really out of options already so I hope you can help me.

Spark Plugs Replacement $96.63 - $636.71 Get a Quote
Clean Throttle Body $93.59 - $291.31 Get a Quote
Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The first thing you should do is scan the engine and repair any codes. Have the fuel vapor system checked to make sure you do not have any problems with a leaking purge valve leaking vapor into the intake when the engine is not running and then leaks even more vapor when you start up the vehicle. If system is not leaking, then have the spark plugs replaced after having the throttle plates cleaned and the combustion chamber and valves cleaned. The valves may have some carbon build up on them that will cause low rough idle even stall cold. If you want to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician from YourMechanic, can come to your home or office to diagnose the cold start and let you know what should be done.