Q: Very loud grinding on acceleration worse on turns

I was wondering if a bad motor mount could cause this problem, or maybe a problem in the transaxle. The noise seems much too loud to be a wheel bearing. It happened very sudden. The vehicle ran fine, but started making very loud grinding on the way home, It also sounds as if there is being something dragged under the vehicle, but no apparent damage noticed under vehicle.

A: Hi there. Typically a bad motor mount will ...

Hi there. Typically a bad motor mount will make a clunking sounds as the vehicle begins to accelerate or decelerate. The grinding sound while acceleration and turning is a common symptom of a bad or failing wheel bearing as you’ve indicated. This can happen rather quickly, but when it does, it’s important to replace both wheel bearings on the same axle during the same service. If you need assistance of replacing the wheel bearings on your Toyota, one of our local mechanics will be happy to complete this service.