Q: Disconnected battery to install new radio. Reconnected and now it won't start.

asked by on March 07, 2017

I disconnected the battery in my truck to install a new stereo. I reconnected it and now it won't start and the dome light, the stereo, the door chime and power locks don't work. I've installed several stereos and this has never happened before. All the fuses look good. What can I do?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Start with the simplest of tests, as all of the symptoms you are having point to an issue with the battery being discharged or incorrectly installed. Make sure the battery is fully charged, and if it was few years old you may want to have it tested. Then make sure the battery cables are in good condition, corrosion free, and tightly secured onto the battery. Double check the ground connection to make sure it is clean, dry, and tight. If it checks out, test for power at the starter and the fuse box to see if either are receiving power when they should be. For more help with these tests, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.